International Student Visa Process

International Student Visa Process

If you will require an I-20 form (Certificate of Eligibility for a Student Status Visa), we must receive certification that you will have sufficient financial resources at your disposal for the entire period of time you are enrolled at Cornell. Your Declaration of Finances form must be completed and returned as soon as possible. Upon receipt of the Declaration of Finances form and your enrollment deposit, we will send you the I-20 form, which you must take with you when you apply to the American Embassy or Consulate for a visa.

Complete and return these forms:

       *Please note, a copy of your passport is also required.

Get Prepared

We have various resources to help you prepare for your enrollment at Cornell.

Our International Undergraduate Pre-Orientation Program

Pre-arrival Information for New International Students

A Message About Visas

If you don’t know the procedure in your country to apply for a U.S. Visa and have access to the Internet, go to The Office of Global Learning also posts ongoing updates. 

As soon as you know that you intend to enroll at Cornell, return your completed Declaration of Finances and I-20 Address Verification Form with a copy of the page in your passport showing your name as it is listed legally (your name, as listed on your I-20, must match the name on your passport exactly). 

You should begin the process of applying for a visa as soon as you receive your I-20 to allow sufficient time for approval. However, your visa cannot be issued more than 120 days before the expected arrival date noted on the I-20, and you cannot enter the country more than 30 days before the expected arrival date.

*If you are currently in the U.S. attending a secondary school or another college or university, you must inform the person responsible for international students at that school of your intent to enroll at Cornell. Please request that your current institution completes the F-1 Transfer Verification Form and returns it to


If you have any questions, email the Undergraduate Admissions Office at